10 February 2006

Commence Operation Play

It's been a while since I have posted, life has been very busy! Just got home from a paragliding trip to Mexico. Soon I will have stories and photos to post for that trip, but I needed a little time to relax first! Been skiing a lot this winter, and working to prepare for Mexico. Now that is done, it is time for a little playing around. I don't have another big trip until the end of May, so it will be nice to relax. On Sunday, February 5, I had a beautiful day. I had to work at Solitude, but that gives me ski breaks. So I skied on Sunday in fresh powder, drove out of the canyon in the most spectacular snow storm I have seen this year to sunny skies and a calm north wind in the valley. I ditched all plans to run errands and went straight to the Point to fly. I got a smooth, mellow flight in for about 10 minutes and snapped a few shots of the clouds I had just driven out of. I landed at sunset and headed home. After the grueling 2 minute drive home, I went straight into a great yoga session. Then I cooked up some grilled vegtables and settled in for some writing. It was one of those days, where when you are ready to get into bed, you look back and realize that days like that are what life is about. You did fun things that make you happy, interacted with friendly and fun people and played a lot. You took a minute to take care of yourself and felt relaxed and refreshed at the end of the day.

Got to fly yesterday as well for a little while. I love leaving work a little early, just because you know it is going to be good to fly. You miss most of the traffic and cruise to the hill quickly. I stopped by the house, threw on my cold flying duds, grabbed my camera and raced to launch. Another beautiful, cold day of flying on the North Side. February in Utah brings some of the smoothest flying, if you can hang with the cold. My post-work flights are nice, because I generally only get 30 minutes of sunlight, so I can only freeze so much. Had a nice low save last night. I was trying to stay out and take some pictures of the sunset from the air and the wind crossed up quick. I felt indications of the switch earlier, but ignored them and chose to keep flying. One guy had sunk out and two others and landed in sketchy places on the side of the hill (the one guy may still be picking out of the bushes). I had one goal, land on launch. Not at the bottom of the hill and not on the side of the hill. One thing I learned in Mexico was the benefit of learning how to balance patience, endurance and skill to get through a tough spot. There was a little lift drifting crossways up the ridges, so I put all my skills t
o use and worked the hell out of those little farts. Buddy Wade came to edge and asked if I wanted a ride from the bottom. I said yes, but to not go anywhere until I land because I plan on landing up there. Three minutes later, mind completely focused on that little spot of launch in front of the windsock, I landed in that little spot and right next to Wade. Moments like that are my biggest accomplishments in flying - when I set my mind on something and acheive it. Making it happen because I beleive I can. Some photos from last night...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home